Facilities, Days Out, Holidays etc
Wish Granting Organisations
- Make a Wish Foundation UK: Make-A-Wish grants magical wishes to children and young people fighting life-threatening illnesses. Make-A-Wish was founded in the UK in June 1986 and, since then, we have granted over 5,300 wishes. At any given time, over 20,000 children in the UK are living with life-threatening conditions and our aim is to grant 21 wishes a week by the year 2010. Whether a wish is to be a princess or a policeman for a day, own the latest computer equipment, meet a favourite celebrity or just enjoy some special time away from home with their family, a wish come true brings so much to a child’s life and provides memories for the family that last a lifetime
Whenyouwishuponastar. Phone 0115 979 1720. Our aim is to grant the ‘Wishes’ of children suffering from a life threatening illness, from the age of 2 to 16. Each day brings requests to meet celebrities, drive a Formula One racing car, meet football stars, get a home computer and of course every childs dream is to meet Mickey Mouse.
Starlight 0207 262 2881. Grants wishes to seriously and terminally ill children and entertaining over half a million children every year in hospitals and hospices throughout the UK.
Social Activities and Development Programmes
- Cedar Foundation: For young people aged 0-20 in Northern Ireland. Working across the Eastern Health Board Area (Belfast, Lisburn, Bangor, Ards) they organise social activities (cinema, bowling, summer schemes days out etc) and personal development programmes (swimming, culture, cookery, photography, young women/men groups etc) for young people aged 0-20 with disabilities, sensory impairment or medical conditions which may mean they don’t have the same opportunity as their peers to engage in such activities. Phone: 02890 387047.
Holidays and Holiday Accommodation
- Florida Villas
- Holiday Villa in Alicante
- Hengar Manor is situated near Bodmin, Cornwall and is the location of our luxury 4 bedroomed, Scandinavian style lodge, sleeping 8 people.
- Christmas Trips to Lapland: The highlight of the Charity’s year is each December to charter 4 planes and take 400 children to Lapland to meet the real Father Christmas
- Hannah’s Appeal: For families of children with life-threatening illnesses. Has caravan in New Forest). Avail Mon to Fri or Fri to Monday (Certainly for cancer patients, FA patients without cancer tbd).
- Oliver Curd Trust: The charity offers short breaks to families of children with a life-threatening or life-limiting illness, including bereaved families. They own a 6 berth caravan at Crowhurst Park, Battle, EAST Sussex and a second holiday home, soon to be available at Combe Haven Holiday Park, St Leonards on Sea. (Certainly for cancer patients, FA patients without cancer tbd).
Dreamflight is a registered UK charity that changes young lives through taking seriously ill and disabled children, without their parents, on the holiday of a lifetime to Orlando, Florida. Once a year, 192 deserving children from all over the UK, accompanied by a team of medical carers, board a chartered Boeing 747 and head to Florida to spend 10 magical days of fun and excitement. Many children could not undertake such a trip without the support of the army of doctors, nurses, physiotherapists and non-medical volunteers who care for the children 24 hours a day.
- Barretstown: Barretstown in Co Kildare is a specially designed camp for children with serious illnesses – primarily cancer and serious blood diseases – from Ireland, Britain and throughout Europe, and their families.We provide a unique programme of adventure, activities and fun – backed by the medical world – which helps children with serious illness regain their confidence and self-esteem and has become internationally recognised as having a profound and positive impact on their lives. See Video.
- Wessex Cancer Trust: Have two holiday homes in Weymouth & New Milton Holiday homes that they have available for patients and their family to escape and have a break. (Certainly for cancer patients, FA patients without cancer tbd).
- Christian Lewis Trust Children’s Cancer Charity
This year, the Christian Lewis Trust commemorates 20 years of caring and supporting families affected by children’s cancer. Since 1989 this small Swansea based charity has raised over £6million, helped more than 4000 families and gained UK-wide recognition for its work and activities. (Certainly for cancer patients, FA patients without cancer tbd).
Lucy’s Days Out (Hampshire only). Giving families, living with cancer, a special time (FA included). Contact Julie Page on 07746 532369, 40 Glenmore Business Park, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 7GL.
Merlin’s Magic Wand. Days out at Merlin Attractions.
Clic Sargent Short Breaks. Malcolm Sargent house in Ayrshire and Caravans elsewhere.
Accommodation for when your child is in hospital
- Ronald McDonald House Charities: RMHC – Ronald McDonald House Charities supports families in the UK with children in hospital. RMHC provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation in or near hospitals for the families of children requiring in-patient care in hospitals and hospices across the UK. RMHC’s main focus is establishing Ronald McDonald Houses (RMH) and Ronald McDonald Family Rooms (RMFR) at children’s hospitals and hospices throughout the UK. In addition to providing bedrooms and communal living areas, a Ronald McDonald Houses and family provides valuable support for the families and enable them to rest in private or enjoy the company of other families.
- Sick Children’s Trust
The Sick Children’s Trust believes that no child should be separated from their family while in hospital receiving treatment for serious illness – help us to allow the most basic of medicines to work; family, love and support. Our mission is to provide high quality ‘Home from Home’ accommodation for families whose children are receiving hospital treatment for serious illness.
The Sick Children’s Trust exists to support and promote the child’s recovery and further to support the fabric and well being of the family as a whole.
- Clic Sargent has accommodation close to hospitals in Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Nottingham, Oxford and Southampton, available to families affected by FA. Here is Paul’s House in London. (Video with Philip Scofield)
- Rhys Daniels Trust. Accommodation at the following:
Bristol Children’s Hospital
Alder-Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool
Kings College Hospital, London
Birmingham Children’s Hospital
Royal Marsden Children’s Hospital, Surrey
Cardiff Children’s Hospital, Wales
Coming soon… Southampton General Hospital and the Neonatal Unit at the Princess Anne Hospital.